IN03_RAJNATH_1981452f
Editorials National

Central Govt issues advisory to all states/UTs on possible ISIS attack

IN03_RAJNATH_1981452fNEW DELHI: Union home minister Rajnath Singh on Tuesday said India was alert to the threat from Islamic State (ISIS), close on the heels of a central advisory warning all states and Union territories about the possibility of an ISIS-sponsored action on Indian soil.

“ISIS is not a threat for any particular country, but for the entire world. India is alert about ISIS,” Rajnath told reporters here.

His statement comes in the wake of the security agencies scaling up the threat perception from ISIS in the light of the Paris attacks and India’s declaration of its support to France’s retaliatory strikes on ISIS territory.

“Though the ISIS has not been able to establish any significant presence in India, its success in radicalizing some youth, attracting certain sections of the local population or the Indian diaspora to physically participate in its activities or the possibility of piggy-backing on terrorist groups operating in India have opened up the possibility of ISIS-sponsored terrorist action on Indian territory,” said the advisory issued by the home ministry on Monday to all the states/UTs.
The advisory specifically asked the state police to review inputs on ISIS and identify plans, target areas vulnerable to attacks by the outfit and take appropriate action to neutralize the threat, if any.

The advisory called for suitable preventive measures at diplomatic missions and other foreign offices, particularly ones belonging to the governments of France, US, UK, Germany, Russia, Australia, Turkey and Israel. The states were also told to secure tourist sports and community facilities frequented by foreign nationals.
Around 20-odd Indians are now believed to be in Iraq-Syria fighting for the ISIS. They include two youths hailing from Kalyan in the outskirts of Mumbai, an Australia-based Kashmiri, a man from Telangana, one from Karnataka, one Oman-based Indian and a Singapore-based recruit.

Last year, a youth from Kalyan had returned home after spending about six-months with ISIS. He was arrested upon his arrival in Mumbai. Among the six Indians who fought alongside ISIS and were killed were three Indian Mujahideen cadres, including Sultan Ajmer Shah and Bada Sajid who joined its ranks after being in Pakistan, two men from Maharashtra and one from Telangana.

Over the past couple of months, some youth of Kerala origin have been deported from the UAE after they were detained there for being in touch with active ISIS members and suspected recruiters on the social media. The UAE had also sent back a 37-year-old woman Afsha Jabeen, alias Nicky Joseph, who was allegedly involving in recruiting men for ISIS.

In January, Salman Mohiuddin was arrested at Hyderabad airport when he was preparing to board a flight to Dubai on his way to Syria via Turkey. So far, 17 young men, mostly from Telangana, have been prevented from travelling to Syria, ostensibly to join ISIS.

News Courtesy: Times of India

Comments

comments